In June of 2012, an astounding 360 people gathered at the University of Notre Dame for a major conference on Catholic preaching. With contributions by a wide variety of theologians and practitioners, We Preach Christ Crucified gathers the fruits of those days spent reflecting on the importance of the preaching ministry. Its release is timely, given the US bishops' promulgation of a new document on preaching, Preaching the Mystery of Faith: The Sunday Homily (January, 2013), and the renewed emphasis on preaching by both Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Francis.
The challenges facing Christian preachers in our time are many and formidable ones. The authors in this collection take a fresh look at the task, the resources at hand, the contemporary context, and the preacher. The result is a refreshing and stunningly hopeful reconsideration of an ancient ministry.
We Preach Christ Crucified includes:
- Preface by Michael E. Connors, CSC
- We Preach a Living Word by Archbishop Gustavo Garcia-Siller, MSpS
- Feasting at the Table of the Word: From Dei Verbum to Verbum Domini by Mary Catherine Hilkert, OP
- New Perspectives on Preaching from Verbum Domini by Fr. Jeremy Driscoll, OSB
- Preaching from and for the Liturgy: A Practical Guide by Fr. Jan Michael Joncas
- Preaching and Catechesis: Mending the Rift between Scripture and Doctrine by John C. Cavadini
- The New Evangelization and the New Media by Fr. Robert Barron
- The Challenge of Fulfilled in Your Hearing to Interpret Life in the Light of the Word by Theresa Rickard, OP
- "This Intimate Link"-The Ecumenical Contribution of Fulfilled in Your Hearing by Craig A. Satterlee
- Unfulfilled in Our Hearing, or, Why Can't Our Newly Ordained Priest Preach? by Fr. Tom Margevicius
- Preaching Hope in Times of Polarization by Susan McGurgan
- African American Contributions to Our American Catholic Preaching Challenge by Maurice J. Nutt, CSsR
- Becoming a Cross-cultural Preacher by Kenneth G. Davis, OFM Conv
- Preaching Among the Poor: A Panel of Holy Cross Priests by Fr. Joseph Corpora, CSC; Fr. Bill Wack, CSC; and Fr. Ronald Raab, CSC
- New Directions in the Funeral and Wedding Homily: The Preacher as the Minister of Hospitality of the Kingdom of God by Guerric DeBona, OSB
- Preaching and Children by Ann Garrido
- The Challenges Ahead for Catholic Preaching in the Twenty-first Century by Archbishop Robert J. Carlson
- Afterword: A Living Word of Hope for the Whatever Generation by Michael E. Connors, CSC
Michael E. Connors, CSC, ThD, is a pastoral theologian and teacher of homiletics on the faculty of the Theology Department at the University of Notre Dame, where he also directs the John S. Marten Program in Homiletics and Liturgics. He is the author of Inculturated Pastoral Planning: The U.S. Hispanic Experience (Gregorian University Press, 2001).
Every preacher is expected to provide expertise for people of different education, ethnicities, gender, age, faith, and life experience. We Preach Christ Crucified explores the method and content of preaching for these circumstances, analyzes each with perception, and inspires the reader with hope. You may think your preaching could never improve either because you know it all or because you lack certain skills. This book will open the eyes of preachers and the ears of the faithful.
Rev. Paul Turner, Pastor of St. Anthony Catholic Church in Kansas City, and author of Let Us Pray: A Guide to the Rubrics of Sunday Mass
Most hearers of Sunday homilies stand with the seekers in John 12:21 who said, `Sir, we wish to see Jesus.' We Preach Christ Crucified leads the homilist, as well as faithful Catholic `hearers of the Word,' to prepare for Sunday. Besides providing a comprehensive and solid grounding in the theology of preaching, the chapters include `how-to' aids to hasten a true revival of Catholic preaching that fosters a deep encounter with the Crucified and Risen Lord Jesus. This book is a perfect companion to the United States Bishops' document, Preaching the Mystery of Faith: The Sunday Homily.
Most Reverend Joseph Kurtz, Archbishop of Louisville
The fruit of We Preach Christ Crucified, representing the wisdom and care of pastors and theologians alike, is sure to arouse hope for the future.
Catholic Books Review
In We Preach Christ Crucified contemporary preachers respond combining theological sophistication with pastoral practicality. This book can serve as a review for preachers years away from a homiletics class as well as a basis for a discussion of contemporary issues in preaching.
Honora Werner, OP, Aquinas Institute of Theology
This single volume brings together a variety of perspectives on what it means to preach the living Word of God in such a way that it fosters a true encounter of the worshipping community with God. In eloquence and wisdom, these chapters both individually and as a unit offer excellent contemporary scholarship and theological reflection on the kind of preaching that transforms individual lives, communities, and reaches out far beyond with a compelling message of hope. The diversity of contributors and foci make this a rich work that speaks to the reality of the Church in our times-in the never ending struggles and joys of faithfully interpreting, communicating and living out the Word in many contexts.
Deb Organ, LICSW DMin, Pastoral Associate, Holy Rosary Parish, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Presents many helpful ideas for preachers and illustrates a variety of methods.