Light from the East
Carols from Central and Eastern Europe II
Schola Cantorum of St. Peters-in-the-Loop Church, Chicago; J. Michael Thompson, Director
More by this Author
Liturgical Press Suggests
Taking its name from Pope John Paul II's letter (Orientale Lumen), Light from the East is a diverse recording. As a complement to the Schola's previous recording of There is Great Rejoicing: Carols of Central and Eastern Europe, these carols represent Polish, Croatian, Ukrainian/Carpatho-Rusyn, Slovak, Hungarian, Latvian, Russian, Czech, Moravian, Slovenian, and Romanian traditions.
The vivid faith and lovely melodies recorded on Light from the East offer even more reason to raise our voices in praise of the God who sent his only Son to the world.
- To the Whole World
- Organ Improvisation on "To the Whole World"
- Christians Gather Round
- Organ Improvisation on "Christians Gather Round"
- Christmas Night
- Christmas Day
- O'er the Earth
- Shepherding Their Sheep
- Come, Shepherds, to the Stable
- Shepherds of Bethlehem
- There's a Savior Born to Us
- The Christmas Rose
- Born to Us is Christ the God-Man
- Organ Improvisation on "Born to Us Is Christ the God-Man"
- Tenderly Mary Sings
- Shepherds, Loyal Shepherds
- Rise Up, Beth'lem Shepherds, Rise!
- Strings Celestial
- Fantasy on Rajske Strune
- Shepherds, Do Not Be Frightened
- Organ Improvisation on "Shepherds, Do Not Be Frightened"
- At the Gates of Heaven Above
Also available for download on Amazon and iTunes.
J. Michael Thompson is the director of music ministry at St. Peter's Church, where he is the founder and director of the Schola Cantorum. He has been a pastoral musician and liturgist for twenty years, as well as a composer, author, and a noted promoter of the Liturgy of the Hours and Gregorian chant in contemporary parish situations.
Product number: 7933
Publication Date: 06/01/1999
Liturgical Press was founded by Saint John's Abbey in 1926. Obra Nacional de la Buena Prensa A.C. and Cistercian Publications distributed by Liturgical Press
© Copyright 2018, Order of Saint Benedict, Liturgical Press, Collegeville, MN. All rights reserved.