* No further discount on NET items
In June of 2012, an astounding 360 people gathered at the University of Notre Dame for a major conference on Catholic preaching. With contributions by a wide variety of theologians and practitioners, We Preach Christ Crucified gathers the fruits of those days spent reflecting on the importance of the preaching ministry. Its release is timely, given the US bishops' promulgation of a new document on preaching, Preaching the Mystery of Faith: The Sunday Homily (January, 2013), and the renewed emphasis on preaching by both Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Francis.
The challenges facing Christian preachers in our time are many and formidable ones. The authors in this collection take a fresh look at the task, the resources at hand, the contemporary context, and the preacher. The result is a refreshing and stunningly hopeful reconsideration of an ancient ministry.
We Preach Christ Crucified includes:
- Preface by Michael E. Connors, CSC
- We Preach a Living Word by Archbishop Gustavo Garcia-Siller, MSpS
- Feasting at the Table of the Word: From Dei Verbum to Verbum Domini by Mary Catherine Hilkert, OP
- New Perspectives on Preaching from Verbum Domini by Fr. Jeremy Driscoll, OSB
- Preaching from and for the Liturgy: A Practical Guide by Fr. Jan Michael Joncas
- Preaching and Catechesis: Mending the Rift between Scripture and Doctrine by John C. Cavadini
- The New Evangelization and the New Media by Fr. Robert Barron
- The Challenge of Fulfilled in Your Hearing to Interpret Life in the Light of the Word by Theresa Rickard, OP
- "This Intimate Link"-The Ecumenical Contribution of Fulfilled in Your Hearing by Craig A. Satterlee
- Unfulfilled in Our Hearing, or, Why Can't Our Newly Ordained Priest Preach? by Fr. Tom Margevicius
- Preaching Hope in Times of Polarization by Susan McGurgan
- African American Contributions to Our American Catholic Preaching Challenge by Maurice J. Nutt, CSsR
- Becoming a Cross-cultural Preacher by Kenneth G. Davis, OFM Conv
- Preaching Among the Poor: A Panel of Holy Cross Priests by Fr. Joseph Corpora, CSC; Fr. Bill Wack, CSC; and Fr. Ronald Raab, CSC
- New Directions in the Funeral and Wedding Homily: The Preacher as the Minister of Hospitality of the Kingdom of God by Guerric DeBona, OSB
- Preaching and Children by Ann Garrido
- The Challenges Ahead for Catholic Preaching in the Twenty-first Century by Archbishop Robert J. Carlson
- Afterword: A Living Word of Hope for the Whatever Generation by Michael E. Connors, CSC
Michael E. Connors, CSC, ThD, is a pastoral theologian and teacher of homiletics on the faculty of the Theology Department at the University of Notre Dame, where he also directs the John S. Marten Program in Homiletics and Liturgics. He is the author of Inculturated Pastoral Planning: The U.S. Hispanic Experience (Gregorian University Press, 2001).